Sunday, July 5, 2009

Reflection

The fact that I have a Danish/Vietnamese background, it didn't effect my pedagogic work in pr axis. When I was in a dilemma regarded the working methods, it was because I saw it from a Danish perspective. When I saw it from a Vietnamese perspective, I wasn't in a dilemma at all. I never saw the differences (Danish contra Vietnamese) as a conflict, but it allowed me to ask questions, in order to get a better understanding of their working methods. Sometimes they didn't understand why I had a different opinion than them, but its only because of the culture differences.

However, they're very open minded towards my opinion regarding parenting, and working with pedagogic methods. I don't always agree on how they think or how the working procedure is provided - but I have an understanding of why they do things in a certain way. It's because of the society in Vietnam, the culture, norms and traditions, that have been repeated for generations and are most certainly going to continue for many years from now......

Being in Vietnam for this long, has taught me to become a more patient person, more laid back, and takes things easily. Before I came to the Kindergarten, I didn't think I could be around children and enjoy being/working with them for an entire day. Working with children have given me the opportunity to understand a child. Theoretically I had a good understanding on children and their development. Although, I have never been so close to children (work wise), like I have in this Kindergarten. As I have mentioned before, the children considered me and the other teachers as our "mother". For that reason, the we bonded so quickly - no question asked, the connection between us developed in no time. This has benefit me, when I had to deal with conflicts in between the children, teaching them things, guiding them on how to behave so they could strengthen their social skills etc.

The Kindergarten has taught me so much regarding parenting, and how important teachings are, instead of playing like children should. It has taught me a million new things regarding the culture, which has given me a better understanding of the teachers' working methods.

Most of all, this experience has taught me, that even if the society is controlled form the higher forces, and everyone should be treated equally and, and not for being individuals....I could still see they were individuals. Living up to the role "a good student" in the Kindergarten - they all did everything in their power to live up to that role so they could make the teachers and parents proud. When I looked beyon that, the children had their own personality, own morals and norms.

I must admit I was a bit worried in the beginning of the practise, as they all seemed the same to me - that's the impression the teachers gave me in the beginning. But shortly after, I noticed, they're all individuals. The teachers are aiming for, the children to become the same, regardless of their family history, age, gender and social skills; the children know how to to adapt into certain situations, which was a positive experience for me, as it was a sign of that they could think independently, and it will develop the child and strenghtens the child's personality to become more mature in its own pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment